Monday, January 09, 2006

I'm Thankful for.........That I Have Been Upgraded.

Upgraded? What is she talking about?! Let me explain. My pastor gave this great sermon on Sunday teaching us that sometimes we have to make upgrades in our lives. The way we are in any one given moment may not be at our best and God has an idea on how to tweak us and change us into something better.

Technology is always bringing us a better model of an old product, putting it on the market and then trying to convince us to upgrade, promising it will change our lives (Tim used TIVO as an example). Do you ever realize God also does this to us in our spiritual lives? He is constantly upgrading us, making us newer, making us better, tweaking us, and adjusting us to upgraded models. He doesn't ever let us grow stagnant or too comfortable. Sometimes the upgrades seem to be at too high of a cost and we think we are okay just the way we are. We don't want to buy the upgrade he's selling, we can do just find with the one we have! He sometimes has to try really hard to convince us that the change is for our better, but sometimes we are too shortsighted to see the finished product. Right now I am going through some major changes, changes that I don't see the need for, changes that bring me fear and uncertainly. Someone told me the other day while talking about all these changes that, God was trying to grow (upgrade) me and I told them I felt like I was tall enough, I didn't really need to grow. To me the cost was too great, the changes too much of a challenge. But God always knows what is best and I have to hope the upgrades make me a better model of him.

I'm thankful for all the many upgrades that have already been made to my life. I've been upgraded from hell bound to heaven being my destination. My condition has been upgraded from broken to whole. I've been upgraded from being unyielding to totally moldable. I've gone from being lost to being found. I've been upgraded from damnation to salvation. My sorrow has been upgraded to joy. And the most important of all, I have been upgraded from an orphan to a child of the most high God! These were all the easy upgrades, the ones that didn't hurt too much, ones that I realized were for the better. The other ones, well, they hurt and they challenge us to grow stronger and more into our Saviors image. They are not always welcome but never the less they are needed.

Sometimes when I am being challenged to change, being asked to upgrade I throw my hands up in the air and say never mind it's not worth it, I'm going back to the way it used to be. But always sanity breaks through and reminds me that the old way was not better and you know if you just sit tight and let God handle the upgrade we will be all the more stronger and better for it. I know he knows what he is doing, because I am so much better than I was before and I like my new upgraded self!

Look at it this way; we are the same original model only better.

3 Comments:

Blogger Christy said...

What a way to put it - Amen, Amen, Amen.. I hope to always be willing for an upgrade and even when it might not feel too good I know God will see me thru. Awesome post!

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love being your voice of sanity...I can recall standing in your living room and telling you to go right ahead, go back to the world, but nothing that is had to offer would satisfy you. I no longer have to do that, God has upgraded you to a place where you know that already...in your head as well as your heart. Way to grow!!!! Love ya!

9:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank God I am not who I was years ago. Thank God I am not who I am months ago! Thank God that I am changed!

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home