Saturday, January 21, 2006

I'm Thankful for...........I know how to Cook!

I had some friends over last night to have dinner and hang out. Everybody brought the meat they wanted to grill and I provided the side dishes. I made garlic bread, baked beans, and my famous scalloped potatoes. I have been making these potatoes for guest for years now and they are delicious! I heard several times last night how good they were. I have been told by so many people how good I can cook and I always brush it off and say it's no big deal. Cooking is just something I have been doing for so long that it just comes natural and easy to me.

I learned to cook when I was five years old. My mother had a major surgery and was laid up and she couldn't cook for me and my brother and sister, so she taught me how from her bed. I don't remember too much about it, but I guess it was okay because we all survived! I continued learning as I grew up and when I moved in with my grandmother at sixteen she taught me even more. My grandmother was an awesome cook; she could take a plain hamburger patty and make it taste like the best thing you ever eaten. She taught me a lot about simplicity in cooking. So, if you take the five years and subtract it from my current age that means I have been cooking for 35 years! I had better be good at it!

I love to entertain and cook for my friends. I usually have someone over the house at least once a month or more and since my friends Ty and Kelly live so close they are usually the chosen ones. Just before the holidays they were coming over almost every week. I love to have Ty over he is the best at giving compliments telling me how good everything is. I guess when they move away there will be a spot open for dinner at my house....anybody up for the challenge?

I love to try new recipes and I have over a hundred cookbooks and cooking magazines and countless loose recipes cut out of newspapers and written on scraps of paper. I used to collect cookbooks but have tried to curb this habit, because really, do I need that many! There are more recipes in them then I could ever make in my lifetime! I have some tried and true favorites I have been making for years. I grew up in New Orleans so I know how to cook Cajun food and my Gumbo is to die for! I can make these button mushrooms that take three hours to make that will melt in your mouth, just ask Kelly! (I promise I will make them for you soon, Carrie!)

I am proud that I know how to cook and how to do it well. I don't get to do it as much as I did when I was married; I only do it when Nick is here for half the week. I really miss being able to cook for a family. But, one day I'll meet someone and you know what they say.....the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. If that’s true I think I have a pretty good shot at his heart!

Here is a quick and easy recipe for you to try. I say it in a magazine a couple of months ago and have made it several times. Ty tells me it's some of the best brownies he's ever had.

Take a box of regular brownie mix and bake them according to the directions on the box.
Chop up a bag of miniature Reese peanut butter cups.
When you take the brownies out of the oven sprinkle the Reese over the top and stick back in the oven for about 3-4 minutes.
Cool and cut.

It's that easy and they are soooooo....good! You can try it with any other kind of candy bar, so explore if you want too!

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I do have to say that the things that you have made, that I have had, are delicious! Keep up the good work, and be greatful God blessed you with such a great talent. (I didn't think it was possible for people not to know how to cook, but I actually met a girl the other day, that honestly believed you should cook everything at 350 degrees -- so it truly is a talent!)

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love being so close and being the one that gets to try everything. My favorite would have to be the mushrooms. I would love them once more before I go. I would love it even more if you would let me come over and show me how it is done.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, you ARE a great cook! I love you!

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am still waiting on my mushrooms!!!!

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home