Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Just Call me Barnabas

"Now Joseph, a Levite of Cyprian birth, who was also called Barnabas by the apostles (which translated means Son of Encouragement)," Acts 4:36

I am doing a study on relationships and last week was on encouraging one another and I have been meaning to write about it. Everybody needs a little encouragement from time to time. Every relationship in our lives needs encouragement in order for it to grow. "Encouragement is like water that when poured on the lives of people enable them to blossom, flourish and put forth their best effort rather than giving up when the circumstances of life threaten to press them down." We as God's children are instructed to encourage and build up one another. 1Thess. 5:11 states..."Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as you also are doing."

While doing this study I learned about a man named Barnabas and...WOW...what a man of encouragement, his name even means Son of Encouragement! "Then when he arrived and witnessed the grace of God, he rejoiced and began to encourage them all with resolute heart to remain true to the Lord; for he was a good man, and full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And considerable numbers were brought to the Lord." Acts 11:23-24

This is the person I want to model myself after. I want to be someone who encourages others....builds others up. I want to be someone who brightens the lives of others, with words of love and encouragement. It would take me hours to name all the people in my life that have encouraged me in some way. So many of those people are in my life now and I just have to pick up the phone and I know words of wisdom and encouragement will be spoken. I want to be known as the same, that someone can pick up the phone and call me and I will speak those same words of encouragement to them. I don't want to become so busy that I lose track of what's really important...that I miss out on opportunities to serve others, encourage others, to help carry someone’s burdens.

In the book.. 25 Ways To Win With People by John C. Maxwell it gives us a valuable lesson.....within the first thirty seconds of a conversation, say something encouraging to a person. I think that's a good lesson to learn and I plan to put it into practice!

Lord thank you for drawing my attention to how important it is to you that I lend words of encouragement and love to build others up around me. Help me to always have a heart to encourage others that they and I may be strengthen in you. Help me to be more like Barnabas and to encourage others to remain true to you. Thank you God for those you have put into my life that have held me up, that have offered me words of encouragement and have strengthen my walk with you. May your blessings be poured on their lives. Send me someone today Lord that I can lend an encouraging word to.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Bourne said...

Great post! I love this reminder that encouragement is critical in relationships. Such a simple thought. So underused, don't you think? Thanks for sharing!

9:17 AM  
Blogger Patrick said...

now you can put a name to a quality that you've possessed for as long as i've known you. this is a role you were born for, and you fulfilled gloriously. as i told raquel last week, "everyone needs a friend like Sonya."

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are always sweet and encouraging when I talk to you. I'm glad you wrote about this...I need to work on that myself! I need an attitude adjustment these days! Hope that you are having a good week!

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home