Saturday, August 18, 2007

Tough Love

I did it. I kicked my oldest son out. He's been living with me for the last 4 months and I've given him every opportunity I could to get his life straight, but he just won't try and do it. I'm so tired of trying. He's 21 years old and it's time for him to grow up.

I know it was the right thing to do, so why do I feel so sick to my stomach. My head acknowledges the wisdom of the decision but my mom's heart is sad and scared. He has no job, no money and will only be able to bunk with friends for awhile. Yesterday I had a long talk with my team leader, Larry and he told me as long as I kept allowing him to treat me the way he did I would never earn his respect (my son's). Believe me it's very confusing to believe that kicking him out will earn his respect....it just seems like the opposite will happen and he will hate me.

I know some will not agree with my decision, but they have not walked in my shoes. I've dealt with him not working, coming in at all hours of the night, eating all the food, keeping his room a pigsty, spending $165 bailing him out of jail and today an argument with him calling me names because I called him out on his lack of motivation. At that point is when I told him he had tonight to get out. He's packed and gone.

As Nick and I were driving around waiting for him to pack and leave, I prayed and gave him to God. That's all I can do at this point. I pray for God's protection on his life and some how He will get through to him.

Tough love is tough! But hopefully it will benefit him in the end. I know God has had to show me some tough love at times and it's always made me stronger. I choose to believe the same for Andrew. God is into miracles!

If you want to remember us in your prayers, our family would be forever grateful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home